The nurse will provide chair-side assistance to the dental surgeon during restorative and surgical procedures. Additionally he / she will be expected to act as receptionist when necessary and perform routine clerical tasks.
• To build a trusting, caring relationship with each patient. To be calm, supportive and understanding. To make the patient feel special and to show them that you appreciate the trust they have put in you.
• To maintain high standards at all times and to take pride in the work that you do. Anticipate tasks so that procedures flow smoothly and efficiently. Support your dentist in the work carried out.
• To maintain impeccable standards of hygiene and cross infection control.
• To respect and promote the work of the dentist and your other practice colleagues at all times.
• To clean and provide basic routine maintenance to the surgery equipment.
• To clean and sterilise instruments.
• To prepare instrument trays or procedures.
• To pass instruments to the dental surgeon during procedures.
• To prepare materials for use in procedures.
• To develop x-rays.
• To dispose of all clinical waste.
• To receive patients at the surgery and answer any basic questions.
• To ensure that patients complete the relevant forms.
• To ensure that all patients’ details are recorded onto the patients’ record cards.
• Keep check on surgery items (eg cotton wool rolls, gloves, distilled water, stationery, etc).
• Monitor stock levels and record shortages in order book.
• Change cold sterilisation solution daily
• Change ultrasonic solution every day or sooner if contaminated.
• Develop x-rays and file appropriately.
• Maintain a clean and tidy decontamination area
• Always be attentive and act as witness / chaperone.
• Clean dental chair filters daily
• Check oxygen cylinder daily.
• Any other such duties that may reasonably be required to ensure the smooth running of the practice.